Friday, November 9, 2007

Old School Research



Having worked on two Masters Degrees (one before the globalization of the internet, and one after), I couldn't help but salivate as I browsed through this powerful digitized library that doesn't require matriculation for access. How nice of BYU to share so much with so many, free of charge. I can't believe all the manuscripts, photographs, publications, and full-text documents avaliable to the public. You should take a peek:

http://www.lib.byu.edu/online.html

My dear friend Breena (the youngest Ph.D candidate I know) gets the credit for the find, and I can't help but wonder where in the world was this digital library during my curriculum development Masters and teaching A.P. English in the late 90's? When I think about the hours I spent visiting multiple libraries, hunting down archived private collections of pre-civil war slave narratives, and Victorian women's postpartum journals... sheesh!

Question: Why couldn't Mr. Al Gore have "invented" the internet before my time as a zoobie? But then again, one can not truly appreciate the power of the information superhighway until one has experienced the research-writing fun of spending hours and hours searching old card catalogues, LAN databases, and microfiche film. Does anyone else remember carrying around about $10 in nickels for the photocopier/microfiche, and a floppy for saving your hours of work?

1 comments:

Dave said...

The internet.. That's on computers now? I still remember (fondly) that strange class I added to my Sophomore schedule in 1992: Library Science 101. No joke, it was a real class! And wow, were they excited about the "future" of computerized searches!