Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ironic, or not?

How many of us have seen this footage in US History class? How quickly the tone in the emergency session of the UN suddenly changed; laughter came to a sudden halt when Ambassador Adlai Stevenson presented undeniable evidence of Soviet missile presence in Cuba. (If you've never seen 13 Days, do yourself a favor and rent it. The producers, I believe, did a great job. Some of the scenes use word-for-word speeches.)


That was 47 years ago today. We seemed so laser-focused then. Maybe it was because we were afraid to be attacked on our own soil? Whatever the case, many American lives have been sacrificed to help this and other nations preserve multiple freedoms for their citizens. My fear is that when these freedoms go unchallenged, free from attack for a period of time, (we, as a people) begin to take them for granted. I do recognize this as part of human nature, but it is very sad...

One such freedom (namely, the First Amendment) seemed to be attacked this week. Did anybody else see this? Smacks of Hugo Chavez to me.

All I can say is that I'm glad the Big 5 Networks of the White House Press Pool stood together in solidarity to defend Freedom of Speech in this country...

1 comments:

Whitney said...

Hey, KP! Thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard about that. Unbelievable. That's a very troubling comment on the Obama administration.